08 September 2008

Qualities Upon Which Friendship Lives

I’ve been wondering recently about the friends in my life. Or should I say, the friends in my life that have decided to remain in my life. I’m glad they’re here, but what about the ones that aren’t? The ones that have floated on by? Sometimes it’s not fair that you aren’t allowed to choose who remains in your life, and who doesn’t. Maybe it’s being selfish, but the act of pouring out my heart to someone, getting close to them, achieving a mutual understanding with each other—only to be eventually let down by their absence, is just crushing. It tires a person out, and they inevitably grow exhausted of making new friends for fear that the new people they meet and begin to grow close to will, as naturally as they came into one’s life, leave. I miss my missing friends, and I want to keep them close. I feel a void there, and in it’s place is a little lack of something that isn’t as great as what was once there. As I write this I know that other friendships are in the process of dissolving, while others are growing stronger. I don’t quite understand what makes relationships thrive and die like this. What qualities of a person make them able to just remain? What qualities have I to give to someone, and what at all (if anything) can they receive that makes them want to stick around?


Maybe once a week I hope to post about something rattling around in my brain.

1 comment:

Pedro said...

vivre l'ami!